How to do Open Houses
OPEN HOUSE ON STEROIDS
Hosting Rockstar Open Houses for Amazing Lead Gen
HEY ROSCKSTAR! GET EXCITED!
LET'S DO THIS RIGHT SO YOU GET THE MOST LEADS!!!!!!
Holding Open Houses, separates us from our competition and allowed us to break into a market we were going after. Great ROI, and most important, they are A LOT of fun! This is a great way to meet neighbors, find leads and build your business.
You can drive traffic to your Open House using many methods such as door knocking the neighborhood and then using digital marketing to get the word out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to people in the area and maximize the amount of people to the open house.
Your goal of an open house is to of course sell the home…but an added benefit of the Open House on Steroids is the shear number of connections you will make because you’re also making valuable connections with people in the neighborhood who might want to sell their homes and you are going to be meeting many, many future buyers.
ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS
a. ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME FOR YOURSELF??
b. DO YOU HAVE A PROPERTY YOU NEED TO SELL BEFORE YOU CAN BUY?
c. CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN A HOME? (This will tell us if we need to demo this home or switch them)
LET THEM LOOK
a. Show them the highlights of the home
b. Stay within ear shot of them
c. Answer questions as they come up
a. CAN YOU GIVE ME A LITTLE FEEDBACK I CAN SHARE WITH THE SELLER?
b. IS THIS A HOME YOU WOULD BUY?
c. I HAVE 5 MORE OF THE “HOTTEST BUYS” IN THE AREA
d. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THEM TODAY AROUND 4PM?
OPEN HOUSE PREP - THINK ABOUT THIS AS IF YOU ARE PLANNING A PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Pick the house – either your own or another agent's listing and call the agent to see if they're willing/able to allow an open house (vacant or occupied?) Here are some tips to choose the right property:
a. Easy to Find
c. Great Curb Appeal
d. Newest on the Market
e. In an area that you are wanting to farm.
2. Schedule an Agent Preview appointment in Showingtime to make sure you are comfortable and knowledgeable about the house and neighborhood
NOTE: EXP Realty, LLC requires that you choose open houses for eXp listings only due to liability issues. This is a national policy!
1. Place 2 tall, brightly colored flags in the front yard of the property and your handwritten sign that says “OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY 1-4”.
2. In addition to the sign, download and print a note repeating "Open House Sunday from 1-4 only. DO NOT DISTURB!!!" in put it in a protective sheet and place it on the front door.
3. Get the MLS Listing Description to be modified to start with "OPEN HOUSE SUN 1-4" (or Saturday, etc.) so that the public websites, Zillow, etc. can get that information out there in advance.
4. Send out a minimum of 1,500 open house flyers if the property is in your farm. If they are being mailed they must go out 3-days before the open house. If they are being dropped it’s better to go out 2-3 days before. Inviting neighbors is a great reason to go door knocking.
1. Confirm that listing updated for open house time!!!!
2. Does agent have flyers for the house? If not, check out this website.
3. Get a partner or lender there for pre-quals/safety - NEVER host an open house alone!!!!!!!!!
4. Schedule kvCORE Open House Property Boost
5. PRACTICE OPEN HOUSE SCRIPTS
a. Have the owner share your post into their neighborhood Facebook group
b. Post in the local garage sale groups
c. Share to your story 2 and 1 days prior to open house
2. Have the owner post open house to NextDoor (700 x 240, but don't put anything in the bottom left corner where date shows)
3. Reverse Prospecting – send emails and make phone calls
4. Go door knocking in the area to invite neighbors.
1. Print documents off MLS
b. MLS buyer sheet – Customer Full
c. MLS agent sheet – Agent Full
d. Seller's disclosure
2. Print area open house map (with my info on it)
a. Print out 5 similar homes that are for sale nearby that you could show them after the open house (put in 5 acrylic sign holders)
b. Print 1 copy of Open House Flyer from List Reports with flyer and the neighborhood foodie places and map from Open (put in 2 acrylic sign holders)
c. Print open house sign-in sheets. One way to try to get better data from people is to tell them that you will be having a door prize drawing tomorrow. Check out these two versions of the sign-in sheet: NORMAL vs CONTEST
d. Print Open House Feedback form
5. Pack your dedicated "open house" rolling crate
a. Biz cards
b. Property folder & acrylic signs
c. Diffusers or Candles & lighter (vanilla or cinnamon only)
d. Broom & dustpan
e. Speaker for music
f. Trash bag
g. Toilet paper!!!! - never forget this
h. Giveaway prize - consider giving away a prize to a winner who signed in today - we'll notify them after the Open House if you've won so they give you good contact info
i. Snacks, plates, napkins, toothpicks
j. Water bottles
k. Serving bowl and platter, napkin holder
1. If vacant, check temperature in the house the day before and make sure it's ready to show (make sure there is AC or heat)
2. Get intimately familiar with the listing (important info about the house, basic stats, neighborhood schools and amenities, etc. – be the expert so you don't need to rely on the MLS print out if anyone asks you the sq ft)
3. Have necessary items dropped off at your client’s home: Sign in sheet, business cards, color flyers, water bottles with your branding on them, financing sheet from lender, checklist for seller reminding them to put away valuables etc., an update form telling them what’s being done in preparation for the open house, and “thank you”.
4. If it’s a “HOT” property hold a “by invitation only” open house from 6 to 8pm the evening before the main open house. Invite the neighbors from a 3-4 block radius. You know that you will have a very large turn out the next day so it’s very effective to deal with the neighbors first. It gives you the opportunity to secure leads for your seller from the “I have a friend” lead and business around business leads.
"Runway Style" OH Signs
OPEN HOUSE DAY
1. Post directional signs about 6 hrs prior to the event. Looking to put out at least TWENTY-FIVE DIRECTIONAL SIGNS!!!!!!! Think airplane landing strip to get them into the neighborhood and easily to the house. Look for busy roads with lots of traffic and put about 6 out along the turn in area from the busy road. (You can't see 1 sign driving by at 40 mph, so you need at least 6 coming in from each direction.)
2. Have additional flyers dropped off at any local coffee shops and restaurants that have a big breakfast crowd.
3. Open all the window blinds & curtains to get good lighting!
4. Put out several simple candles (one scent only) throughout the house
5. Facebook live/YouTube/Instagram open house tour just prior to the start of the event
6. Welcome every visitor personally and focus on making connections. Put on a great show and SMILE!!!!!!!!!
a. Get there early to catch any early birds
b. Be organized
c. Be friendly and helpful
d. Have a solid guest list process for getting their info – don't rely on them signing in. they won't and you can't read their handwriting. This is a great job for your partner to hang by the door and greet everyone at the sign-in table.
e. Don't try to sell, try to solve
f. Strike up casual conversation but don't be a typical sales
g. Assume they are going to work with you if this house doesn't meet and discuss getting together on Monday to talk about their needs and finding the house that does
OPEN HOUSE ROLES:
Have one agent or vendor partner (lender) welcoming people when they arrive and check them in on the Open House Sign In sheet. I suggest the welcome person writes the names and numbers instead of the guests so it's legible. One way to try to get better data from people is to tell them that you will be having a door prize drawing tomorrow. Check out these two versions of the sign-in sheet: NORMAL vs CONTEST
Depending on expected traffic, strategically place agents or friends around the house to interact with potential customers as well as show the property.
PUT OUT AT LEAST 25 SIGNS!!!!!!
Here's an example of the landing strip style to get to the entrance. Give them bread-crumbs to get to the house.
Also make sure you put signs out at the nearby major intersections!
AFTER THE OPEN HOUSE - BEFORE YOU LEAVE
1. Close and lock door and windows. Check all rooms and closets to make sure no one is in the house or left themselves a way in through an unlocked door or window.
2. Clean up and turn off all lights
3. Take rider off For Sale Sign
4. Pick up all directional signs
5. Call sellers or selling agent and give them feedback and report of how it went
DAY AFTER - Follow up!!!!!!! This is why you held the Open House.... now follow up ALL leads!!!!!!
Think long term here! You’re doing this rockstar open house so that the neighbors remember YOU when they want to sell their home. You are setting yourself apart. You can create that connection by featuring great properties, taking time to get to know your guests, and welcoming everyone into the home with a memorable experience!
Enter all leads into your CRM. Add to a drip campaign. Be sure to tag them with the date and home where you met.
NOTE: Now that you have added everyone to your database you must treat them with the same care and follow up that you would any other client.
Put the leads on a BUTT KICKING follow up plan that touches the lead 10X in 2 weeks.
Send warm leads a thank you note along with business cards
2. Voicemail script in a friendly, non-business voice, leave this SHORT message. THAT'S IT. SAY NOTHING MORE! WATCH THIS VIDEO
"Hey this is [First Name]. Can you please do me a favor returning my call back as soon as possible today? My cell number is ________. Thank you!"
3. Make the appointment. Zoom if possible!
4. Close with a buyer showing appointment
If the lead doesn't convert, put them on an email campaign and have leads nurtured with tools like GeographicFarm.com mailings. Invite them to other Rockstar Open Houses and schedule an appointment!
Open House Follow Up Text Scripts
Hello (insert name if you have it). This is ________________. It was great meeting you on ___________ at the open house on _________________. I appreciate you taking the time to come through! I wanted to reach out to see if you have any additional questions about the house?
Hello (insert name if you have it). This is ______________, you came through my open house on ___________ at ___________. It was a pleasure talking with you and getting to know you better. I wanted to reach out to see if you had sometime this week that we could meet and go over exactly what you’re looking for in a home so I can assist you in the process. Are mornings or evenings better for you?
Good Morning/afternoon/evening (insert name if you have it). This is ___________, you came through my open house on _________________. I wanted to reach out as it looks like you are not currently working with a buyers agent. Did you know that there is no cost to you associated with my service, and I have the most current list of homes available to you?
Good Morning/afternoon/evening (insert name if you have it). This is ___________, you came through my open house on _________________. It was great chatting with you (or you and your husband/wife.) Based on our conversation I think the following homes would meet your needs. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what your availability is to go take a tour.
Open House Prep Sheet For Sellers
- Trim all bushes and shrubs to make curb appeal tidy and neat.
- Mow the lawn.
- Make sure front walk is swept & clean and entrance is free of spider webs and dirt. (First impressions start from the outside).
- Be sure that front door is inviting (easy refresher is a new welcome mat).
- Organize closets and drawers to make them look as large and neat as possible (buyers look here).
- Declutter all unnecessary items from tables, kitchen counter tops, bathroom vanities, closets, laundry room, bedrooms etc.
- Take all personal pictures down and replace with generic photos or leave without photos in each room (buyers want to envision themselves in your home not see who is living there).
- Arrange furniture to make rooms look as big as possible. Put away unnecessary furniture in storage to make rooms as minimal as possible.
- Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to baseboards. Don't forget interior windows, mirrors and floors.
- Dust off all surfaces and wipe down baseboards.
- Scrub every inch of the kitchen and bathrooms. Including inside and outside kitchen appliances.
- Make sure the house has a fresh smell but do not overdo it on scents.
- Put away all pet products, food bowls, water bowls etc. (some buyers are very put off by animals).
- Clean up all dog droppings in yard and empty litter boxes.
- Clean and organize garage.